PREP TIME: A HALF HOUR
COOKING TIME: 3 HOURS
TOTAL COOKING TIME: 3 HOURS 30 MINUTES
SERVES: 4 PEOPLE
1 kg lean braising beef
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 bouquet garni
1 liter dark beer
250 g whole smoked bacon
5 to 7 slices of homemade gingerbread
3 tablespoons of mustard
5 or 6 juniper berries
- Cut the beef and a piece of 2 cm side. Chop the onions and coarsely chop the bacon into large lardons.
- Put the butter in a saucepan over low heat and cover the onions to brown.
- When the onions become golden brown, add the bacon and put over medium heat. Let cook covered for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the bacon becomes very pink, remove it and the onions, leaving the cooking juices in the pan.
- Put the pieces of beef in the casserole and cook over high heat, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- When the meat is nicely colored on all sides and has released its juice, stop cooking and remove the meat, still keeping the juice in the pan.
- Pour the brown sugar into the juice and heat again over high heat. When the juice has reduced by half, lower the heat to minimum and add the bacon and onions. Mix well, then add the meat, mix again, add the bouquet garni and cover with the beer.
- Brush the gingerbread pieces with the mustard and gently place them on the surface of the dish. Cover and simmer for 3 hours without touching it. The gingerbread should be completely melted and the juice should thicken. If so, simmer uncovered after 3 hours of cooking. It’s ready !