PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
COOKING TIME: 2 HOURS
TOTAL COOKING TIME: 2 HOURS AND 15 MINUTES
SERVES: 6 PEOPLE
1 kg of beef. As far as the cuts are concerned, you can use the following which adapts very well to a simmered recipe: chuck, heel, low rib, main rib, and panties. Do not hesitate to ask your butcher for advice, he may have other cuts to suggest.
1 stalk of celery
4 tomatoes (optional)
a bouquet garni (thyme, bay leaves, etc.)
sear the meat:
- Heat a little olive oil in your casserole dish or slow cooker.
- When the oil is very hot, place the pieces of beef on the bottom and let them brown on each side. They must be golden brown, but not begin to cook through.
- Salt the pieces of meat one by one at the beginning of their cooking.
- Do not hesitate to do it in several times if you do not have enough space at the bottom of the casserole. If they are piled up, they will just cook but not brown on the sides.
- Once all the pieces are well seared, remove them and place them on a large plate.
Prepare the vegetables:
- Do not hesitate to cut the vegetables at the beginning of the recipe in order to save time later on the realization. But if you do it gradually, it’s not embarrassing either!
- Peel and slice the onions into rings
- Peel the carrots and cut them into fairly thick slices (about 5mm per slice). You can use a kitchen mandolin to go faster.
- Cut the celery stalk into cubes.
- Peel and cut the potatoes into cubes 2 or 3 cm wide.
- Cut the tomatoes into cubes
- Add all the vegetables at once to the pan and sauté them. Then mix evenly and brown for about 5 minutes.
Preparation of beef stew:
- When the vegetables have browned well, add the pieces of meat that you had set aside and mix the preparation.
- Prepare a large meat broth. For this recipe and in order to simplify it, we advise you to use the broths already ready and to be mixed with hot water.
- Then pour the broth into the casserole dish until the meat and vegetables are completely covered.
- Add salt and pepper to adjust the seasoning, then add the bouquet garni.
- Reduce the heat to about 1/4 the power of your griddle, then simmer for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- For the broth to reduce and make a sauce full of flavor, do not put the lid on your casserole.
- You can thicken the sauce if you find it still runny. just add 1-2 teaspoons of cornstarch, increase the heat and mix well, letting it heat up for a few minutes.